the white barry

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Things That Piss Me Off...

I’ll get back to getting some music up here soon, but in the meantime I need to vent about the whole seal hunt situation up here in Canada. For those of you who aren’t familiar with the issue, every year the Canadian government allows for the killing of hundreds of thousands of seals in the North Atlantic. Many animal rights groups claim that the seal hunt is unnecessary, and suggest that the animals are slaughtered in a brutal form with many being left for dead in the icy waters. Well, before I begin ranting let me make one thing clear – I am neither for nor against this activity. While I appreciate and tend to agree with the arguments against the hunt, I think there must be a concrete solution developed to help out those who depend on it as a source of income. Many of the people involved, including native peoples, are in financially binding situations and have very few employment options (especially considering the current state of the east coast fishing industry). Sure it would be great to save all of these seals, but do we not have to consider the welfare of our fellow humans before that of an animal? So basically what I’m saying is – sure let’s try and put a stop to this, but let’s make sure we’ve developed alternatives for these people before hand.

That being said, the point that completely drives me insane is the absolute ridiculousness of celebrities who support this cause. Who are people like Paul McCartney and Morrissey to tell my government what and what not to do? Last time I checked these assholes weren’t convening with a bunch of scientists to analyze the effects of the seal hunt (if they had, they would have noticed that the seal population has actually tripled since the 1970's). They've read a little bit about it, or been asked by a special interest group to lend their support - and all of sudden they’re experts? Morrissey wants everyone to boycott Canadian products? Here’s a shocker for him – Canadians, just like most other people, have been boycotting his albums for years. To top everything off, Pamela Anderson recently requested a one-on-one with Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper to discuss the issue. Yes, that’s Pamela Anderson from the hit show “Stacked.” I can just see her walking into our Parliament buildings in a whorish dress, wearing one of those absurdly large and fuzzy slut-hats. I guess it’s good that they’re bringing issue into the mainstream conscious, but I’d like to think that most people can see through the ‘cause-of-the-week’ mentally of most celebrities.

I say those hunters up north forget about the seals, and start going after these jackasses.

Paul McCartney Saving Seals
Paul McCartney (the dick pictured above) recently made a trip up north to protest the seal hunt. I'm sure someone must have forgot to tell him that the hunting of seals such as the one pictured (infants with white fur) has been illegal for almost 20 years. I guess the other ones just aren't cute enough, are they Paul?

8 Comments:

  • At 5:33 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm sorry to have to point this out, but your views are very ill informed, and a small amount of research would reveal the real situation. There is a great overview of the facts here http://infurmation.com/daf/2006/overview.html. It addresses both sides of the debate and supports it with facts, and figures.

     
  • At 10:26 a.m., Blogger ....that guy said…

    I'm sorry to have to point this out, but I wouldn't trust the validity of anything posted on "information.com". Seriously, I didn't even bring up any points that could be contested. Give it up hippy, I know its you.

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/sealhunt/

     
  • At 7:08 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    its inFURmation.com actually.

    "if they had, they would have noticed that the seal population has actually tripled since the 1970's" Well to that tidbit of information - the last time seals were hunted to this extent their population was reduced by two thirds. They only recovered during bans in the 80's. They are an extremely fragile species.

    Seal hunting is becoming less and less profitable as more and more countries each year sign on to seal fur bans. The sealing industry took one of its biggest blows when earlier this year a major consumer of seal furs Greenland and Denmark announced that they were putting and end to fur trade.

    Also on the infant seal bit - 97% of seals killed are under 2 months old (as they are completely defensless) when they start to molt. They are yet to take their first swim or eat their first solid meal. If that seal in the picture had started to molt even a patch on its back then it is legal to kill and at best would only be 'protected' for possibly another month or less or its life.

     
  • At 8:00 p.m., Blogger ....that guy said…

    First of all, you need to relax because I never once said I supported the seal hunt - if anything I hinted that I wasn't in favour of it. What I was ranting about was the fact that celebrities who don't know shit about the issue (much like yourself) chose to fight against it.

    This inFURmation website of yours seems to be source of misinformation, at least from the "facts" your trying to give. I do concede that most of the seals killed are still pups, but it is also true they no longer appear as they do in the images shown around the world (not that it matters - its obviously a saddening act). However, the value of seal exports from this country has grown considerably since 1999 - it has not become less profitable. Thats not to say that it's an important industry - but all I suggested was that there be some sort of social programs developed to help those people who are involved in the hunt, especially first nations peoples who have lived with the tradition for hundreds of years. Maybe it's inhumane of me to want to put the welfare of people before the welfare of seals? As for them being a "delicate" species - there is no reason for them to even be considered endangered anymore. Wouldn't you agree that focus should be shifted to saving animals that will face extinction in the immediate future?

    I suggest you begin to take things you read on the internet with a grain of salt. I'm sure that even you realize that most animal rights groups sensationalize the truth (so do the governments on the other side of the argument). If you really want to get a better grasp of the topic, seek out more than one source. More importantly, seek out information from both sides of the argument, or even bias-free third party reports.

     
  • At 4:09 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OK, i'm not trying to get heated here. I think Paul McCock is just as much of an idiot as you. But he, as well as other cringe worthy celebrities, have given invaluable publicity to the issue.

    The website i provided was chosen for a reason. It was a good overview with some good links. Of course some of the material is sensationalist. Other wise people wouldn't take any notice, would they? It is a serious issue and they try and connect to the elements of the issue that the most people will react to, and you can't tell me that you are not disgusted by the thought of baby seals being hit with spiked clubs. But, from my experience animal rights don't distort the facts as much as that cbc article did (i could very easily pick that apart). The white fur pup pictures - non-issue, its so minor in the scale of things.

    On the profitability issue - at the end of the day, seal hunting is not a sustainable industry. The number of people that rely on sealing as a primary source of income is minute, and if is so profitable for these people, why does the government of canada have to provide subsidies for these people. For the larger part it is engaged in by the fishing industry, as a way to provide extra income. Animal rights groups aren't ignorant to these issues either, they themselves have investigated and provided economic alternatives to the sealing industry.

     
  • At 4:10 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oops, i meant i think Paul 'McCock' is just as much of an idiot as your think he is.

     
  • At 3:39 p.m., Blogger ....that guy said…

    cool anonymous... i get a little bit fired up sometimes. Actually, I actually appreciate you taking the time to write... thanks

     
  • At 7:19 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This was a great music-blog-debate! I'm not the Anonymous from above, but I liked this debate. It had an angry begining, an angry (seeming, at least) middle part and a friendly treaty at the end.

    Good show.

    P.S. Easy on Paul McCartney, "Get Back" is awesome!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home