The Origins of 4:20
CBC Newsworld's "The Hour" had an interesting story last night about the origins of 4:20, the international time to spark up. It researched the history of the term, debunking common misconceptions that suggest it comes from a California penal code for marijauana possession, or that it is a reference to Hitler's birthday. The most plausable origin, they suggested, involves a group a friends from California who used to smoke at that time everyday. Eventually, they fell in with the Dead-Head crowd, and 4:20 eventually spread and stuck.
The piece continued by discussing 4:20 references in pop culture, such as the setting of all clocks to that time in the pawn shop scene in Pulp Fiction. It was pretty interesting, its just too bad they don't have any video of the story up on their website as of yet. In conjunction, however, I bring you a few tunes, two of which were mentioned in the report.

The Beatles - Come Together (4:20 in length.)
Bob Dylan - Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35 (12 mulitplied by 35 equals 420.)
O.C. - Burn Me Slow (I used to listen to this track repeatedly - he rips it.)
Three Six Mafia - I Gotta Stay High (Newer, but the production on this track is unreal.)
In retrospect, I should have waited until 4:20 to post this.
The piece continued by discussing 4:20 references in pop culture, such as the setting of all clocks to that time in the pawn shop scene in Pulp Fiction. It was pretty interesting, its just too bad they don't have any video of the story up on their website as of yet. In conjunction, however, I bring you a few tunes, two of which were mentioned in the report.
The Beatles - Come Together (4:20 in length.)
Bob Dylan - Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35 (12 mulitplied by 35 equals 420.)
O.C. - Burn Me Slow (I used to listen to this track repeatedly - he rips it.)
Three Six Mafia - I Gotta Stay High (Newer, but the production on this track is unreal.)
In retrospect, I should have waited until 4:20 to post this.
2 Comments:
At 1:04 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » »
At 11:10 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
Where did you find it? Interesting read Convere eyeglasses braintree ma ferrari gto 1984 Cisco press books best weight loss pills forum best car alarm Keyword oxycontin lexapro research Las vegas golfing vacation New jersey cellphones Butalbital cheap mail order pharmacy Tramadol without Euro cup soccer jersey as adware metro auto alarms arvada lawyers Acyclovir and vaccines Generic fioricet and overseas pharmacy asian criminal street gang photo gallery Bextra class action law suit Poker dealer hostess girls california
Post a Comment
<< Home