Melodies from Mississauga
Mississauga is a suburb of Toronto, its actually my hometown. It is the personification of urban sprawl. A city with a population of 700,000, its downtown core is a mall surrounded by mis-matched condo buildings. It is quite a depressing city, its own mayor has even admitted that it was poorly planned. It comes as no surprise, then, that there is so much suburban-angst rock coming out of the city, and the surrounding area. Bands such as The Hidden Cameras, Moneen (actually from Brampton, Mississauga's neighbour to the north), and Billy Talent try to embody everything that Mississauga ISN'T.
The most relevant of these bands is Death From Above 1979. The two-piece who also hail from the city-outside-the-city have made an impact around the world with their massive record You're a Woman, I'm a Machine. Most importantly, though, is that they have disowned their Mississauga "heritage", and now label themselves as a Toronto band. Bravo, I would do the same.

You're A Woman, I'm a Machine
The most relevant of these bands is Death From Above 1979. The two-piece who also hail from the city-outside-the-city have made an impact around the world with their massive record You're a Woman, I'm a Machine. Most importantly, though, is that they have disowned their Mississauga "heritage", and now label themselves as a Toronto band. Bravo, I would do the same.
You're A Woman, I'm a Machine
4 Comments:
At 12:36 a.m.,
Jason said…
DFA79 is from mississauga? i had no idea.
At 1:10 p.m.,
....that guy said…
Yeah, they don't really let anyone know... hahaha. My brother actually works with one of their parents.
At 1:04 a.m.,
Jason said…
i live in and i think mississauga is a bad name for a city.
more than a quarter of the residence here have trouble spelling the name.
it sounds pretty ghetto too.
what do their parents do?
At 8:55 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Where did you find it? Interesting read Lexapro xanax lunesta Income tax shelter Yahoo domain registration Rubber stamped wedding invitations http://www.lexapro-1.info/buspar-chat-de-cantv.html Coffee grounds for cellulite jeep accessory yankees license plate frames http://www.cooper-vision-contact-lens.info/Jeep-grand-cherokee-tents.html Body wrap ft worth tx cellulite
Post a Comment
<< Home