the white barry

Monday, January 30, 2006

The Future of Canadian Hip Hop?

Canadian hip hop is just beginning to go through a transition. Those originally expected to make a breakthrough south of the border (Kardinal, etc.) have failed to live up to their initial hype. Others, such as k-os, have found some success by creating their own niche. But in terms of mainstream hip hop, a changing of the guard has begun. The most important players in this move are producers Tone Mason, whose credits include tracks for Talib Kweli and AZ. Their production is sonically pleasing, and will undoubtedly foster a demand for their work in the ever-important American market.

Love That City Hall Logo

Tone Mason (ft. Brass Munk, G Stokes & Graph Nobel) - The Throwback

AZ (ft. CL Smooth) - Magic Hour (Produced by Tone Mason)


Another Canadian rapper I'm into right now is DL Incognito. An Ottawa native, DL's lyrical capabilities are supported by solid production. His debut album, A Sample and a Drum seemed to come out of nowhere. If you can ever can your hands on it, I suggest you do. He recently releases his second LP. I have yet to hear much off it, though. Check out these tracks, I think you'll be surprised.

DL Incognito

DL Incognito (ft. Tara Chase) - Spit Forever II

DL Incognito - Proof

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home