the white barry

Monday, January 23, 2006

Cough Up A Lung, Where I'm From... Pt. 2

The Toronto hip-hop scene has always been little more than a replication of the world south of the border. The main players; Kardinal Offishal, Choclair, Saukrates, etc.; have brought little forth to distinguish their sound from those emcees in the States. Therein lies the problem: Toronto isn't New York, L.A., or Atlanta. The city needs a sound that reflects its unique cutlure and style. Although I do respect Kardinal for trying to implement a Jamaican influenced approach, he has yet to release anything mind-blowing. k-os, on the other hand, has a style all his own. The tracks on his albums range from reggae, to rock, to straight hip hop. His sound is as large and diverse as Toronto itself. His latest album, Joyful Rebellion, was a huge hit here. After you take a listen, you'll understand why. I love the tracks "Emcee Murdah", "Crucial", and of course the biggest single off the record, "Crabbuckit".


Joyful Rebellion

Joyful Rebellion


I'll do my best to get his first one up here, too... it's another classic.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:22 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home