the white barry

Monday, January 30, 2006

About That Election...

I just realized that it has been almost a week since the federal election here in Canada, and I have yet to acknowledge it on the ol' blog. Well, since I'm sure most of you out there are not interested in the politics of the Great White North, I will break it down using some of our country's more popular music acts as references.

Stephen Harper (Conservative Party)

Stephen Harper is the new Prime Minister of Canada. His party won a minority government after stealing votes from the typically more popular Liberals. Stephen and his party are best represented by Nickelback. Why, you ask? Because nobody really likes the Conservatives, and they are often considered the party of preference for Nascar fans (or hillbillies, if you prefer). They're both also loved south of the border.

What are they looking at?


Paul Martin (Liberal Party)

The Liberals share common traits with the Tragically Hip. Both are extremely popular in Canada, but not really known anywhere else. People don't really like the Liberals or the Hip, but for some reason their voter support and record sales haven't diminished much. They're as much a Canadian institution as Tim Horton's or Hockey Night in Canada. Essentially, they're the safe choice.

Rock on, Gramps (all of ya's)!


Gilles Duceppe (Bloc Quebecois)

I know, I went for the obvious choice here. It is too easy for me to relate the Bloc to Celine Dion. For those who don't know, the Bloc Quebecois is the party that wants to seperate Quebec from the rest of Canada. Both Celine and the Bloc aren't liked outside of the region, and they're never really taken too seriously. The Bloc is also starting to lose its appeal within the french speaking province, and Celine lost her appeal to most Quebec residents years ago.

Why is she giving us the devil horns?


Jack Layton (New Democratic Party)

Rush best symbolizes the NDP. They're both more of a joke than anything else. Many of their ideas seem good, but you know that the problem will lie in bringing them to fruition. Basically, they're both crazy.

Nut Jobs

Yeah, we also have fringe parties such as the Green Party, the Marijuana Party or even the Marxist-Leninist Party - but they're hardly worth mentioning. In case you couldn't tell, I was hardly satisified with my options. I did, however, do my democratic duty and cast a ballot! I just decided not to fill it out. A blank ballot, a vote in protest of all of my options. I can still complain.

More music coming soon...

6 Comments:

  • At 5:48 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Uhm. I am not sure that really is your democratic duty. Your democratic duty may in fact mean being more involved than simply showing up at the voting box, but actually making a decsion...hell, maybe even laying some pressure on whatever party you like, and working for change. Our generation (I assume we are in the 20something to 30something generation) has this bizarre notion that choosing nothing is a political stance.

     
  • At 1:36 a.m., Blogger ....that guy said…

    Well, I see what you mean, however I have to disagree. You see, blank ballots are counted and included in the final election numbers. As such, a large number of such votes would signify overall voter dissatisfaction. Unlike choosing to vote for a fringe party, I believe that my actions reflect the lack of options and the politcal parties' failure to indentify the key issues within my generation. Any further action would be stepping beyond the realm of democratic duty, and become democratic privilege. Only those with the time and capacity to influence the governing party will truly be able to apply this "pressure" you speak of.

     
  • At 11:06 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fair enough. But I still think to the use democratic option simply to "reflect the lack of options" could be used for better. Sorry if I am coming on strong here, but as a Canadian living in the states, I see the throw away vote as just that. For example, if the left wing voters here (or whoever else were disatisfied) didn't fill out a ballot, their voice is certainly not going to be heard, as the media is not going to spend time discussing the % that didn't fill it out. Thus you are outside the political arena. I dunno, just my opinion.

     
  • At 11:07 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    By the way...some good tunes here..thanks!

     
  • At 11:39 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

  • At 7:01 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very nice site! » » »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home